Monday 11 September 2006

White, Christian, married, English does not fit the bill

On 31 October 2010, The Daily Mail quoted John Glen, the Tory party’s former head of research, who became an MP in 2010, thus:

"I don’t anticipate any early calls to Government. I’M A WHITE, CHRISTIAN, MARRIED BLOKE FROM THE HOME COUNTIES SO I PROBABLY DON’T FIT THE DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THE LEADERSHIP WANTS AT THE MOMENT…

What is important is that you don’t lose your soul along the way. I’d rather be a damn good constituency MP AND BE KNOWN TO SPEAK THE TRUTH than someone who has got on the ladder too soon and is not experienced or able enough to deal with the pressure. I’VE NOTICED SOME COLLEAGUES OUT TO MAKE A NAME FOR THEMSELVES.”
Yeah. I've noticed them, too. Bit difficult not to notice, really, there being so many of them. Anyway, mate, good for you. Let’s hope the unusual honesty bit isn’t just your averagely cynical MP out for a spot of politically incorrect, populist sympathy from the aching multitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment