Friday 27 June 2014

Our world has gone to hell!

Gary Oldman first rose to prominence after playing Sid Vicious in the 1986 film, Sid and Nancy and gained international renown as Lee Harvey Oswald in the 1991 film, JFK, and Count Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula, the following year.

Since then, he has played Sirius Black in four Harry Potter films and George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which earned him Academy and BAFTA Award nominations for Best Actor.

He also wrote and directed the double BAFTA Award-winning and Palme d'Or-nominated 1997 film, Nil by Mouth.

On 25 June 2014, Gary said this during an interview with Playboy Magazine:
"Culturally, politically, everywhere you look. I look at the world, I look at our leadership and I look at every aspect of our culture and wonder what will make it better. I have no idea. Any night of the week you only need to turn on one of these news channels and watch for half an hour. Read the newspaper. Go online. Our world has gone to hell…

Kids honestly believe they are the center of the fucking universe. But then they get out into the real world and it’s like, 'Shit, maybe it’s not all about me,' and that leads to narcissism, depression and anxiety. These are just tiny examples, grains of sand in a vast desert of what’s fucked-up in our world right now. As for the people who pass for heroes in entertainment today, don’t even get me started...

The mediocre are always at their best. They never let you down. Reality TV to me is the museum of social decay. And what passes for music, it’s all on that plateau. Who’s the hero for young people today?
Some idiot who can’t fucking sing or write or who’s shaking her ass and twerking in front of 11-year-olds...

I know what it means to do a job. I was a sales assistant in several places. I was a stockroom boy and did a lot of sweeping up. I worked in a factory. I respect people in the service industry. What irritates me more is when people aren’t respectful. There’s a lot of nonsense behavior, especially in a place like Hollywood. The money, the power, they create little monsters...
I just think political correctness is crap. That’s what I think about it. I think it’s like, take a fucking joke. Get over it…

I don’t know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we’ve all said those things. We’re all fucking hypocrites. That’s what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word nigger or that fucking Jew? I’m being brutally honest here. It’s the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy…
Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him… 
He’s like an outcast, a leper, you know? But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn’t turned and said, 'That fucking kraut' or 'Fuck those Germans,' whatever it is? We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That’s what gets me. It’s just the sheer hypocrisy of everyone…

It’s dishonesty that frustrates me most. I can’t bear double standards. It gets under my skin more than anything…

More and more, people in this culture are able to hide behind comedy and satire to say things we can’t ordinarily say, because it’s all too politically correct… If I called Nancy Pelosi a cunt, and I’ll go one better, a fucking useless cunt, I can’t really say that. But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart (both Jews) can, and nobody’s going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a fag and get away with it…
It’s our culture now, absolutely. At the Oscars, if you didn’t vote for ‘12 Years a Slave’ you were a racist…

We need some real leadership, and it’s nowhere in sight...

Does it mean anything to win a Laurence Olivier Award or a Tony? I guess it’s peers or people acknowledging you in some way. I know it certainly doesn’t mean anything to win a Golden Globe, that’s for sure… It’s a meaningless event. 
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association is kidding you that something’s happening. They’re fucking ridiculous. There’s nothing going on at all. It’s 90 nobodies having a wank. Everybody’s getting drunk, and everybody’s sucking up to everybody. Boycott the fucking thing. Just say we’re not going to play this silly game with you any more.”
Are you daring to speak out yet?

Are you daring to tell the truths you didn't dare tell before? If you're still holding back, don't. The truth, plainly told, will win back our world if anything will.

Just as the fear of being out of step with the rest lost it.

No comments:

Post a Comment