Monday 25 August 2014

He felt he had a divine right to do as he pleased

On 23 August 2014, Robert Montagu, the son of the 10th Earl of Sandwich, told us about his forthcoming autobiography, A Humour Of Love, in The Daily Mail.
"I wrote the first draft when I was 16 and I’ve probably done ten versions since then. I always intended it to be written as a novel but then I came to realise in the last three months it had to be done as a memoir. If you want the message to come across that people should be brave enough to speak out, you really have to put your name to it and write it with people’s names as they are. 
I could lose all contact with my brother. He’s a very successful crossbencher and is a popular man, a fine man. It’s going to give him problems... but I’m afraid I can’t spare him... I’ve spared him for 55 years."
Robert then describes what his father did to him:
"It was what we did every day. It was accepted that I would always go to his room at half past seven in the morning until quarter to nine. I felt I was fulfilling a function of my mother who was missing. It was my duty, to some extent, to be in the position I was in and that is the reason I did not resist. 


That feeling was hinted at by my father, by sometimes making comments comparing me to my mother... That was what would happen every single day. It was never questioned by anybody. My sisters have asked and I said 'Surely you always knew?' and they said no, they didn’t. 
You castigate yourself later for not telling anybody and also not refusing to go. But when things start at that age, it feels the natural order of the world so there is no questioning it... 
You wouldn’t suspect there was anything going on in that child’s life that wasn’t completely kosher... It makes me sad for that child, that he had to put up such a front. At that time he wasn’t sure if he was a boy or a girl. And he felt like a little prostitute. 
I do think WE HAVE TO TAKE THIS PROBLEM MORE SERIOUSLY, PURSUING PEOPLE WHO ACT IN THIS WAY AND NOT ALLOWING THEM TO ESCAPE. 
It’s easy for me to say that. I let my father escape, as have all my family. But we’ve got to get tougher. I particularly want families to be active in reporting. It’s a difficult thing but it must be done. You cannot have an 11-year-old telling of abuse that had reached a zenith and not act. You must make sure that person is not in a position to do the same again... 
I know personally of ten (victims) and I’ve spoken with most of those. They were family friends, London contacts, Dorset contacts, holiday contacts. I suspect it might be 20, possibly more... 
Although he was abusive, I didn’t want to denounce him. I never referred to what had happened and neither did he. There were occasions when I could easily have raised the subject. I spared him, I suppose. In retrospect, I wish I’d had the courage to face him and question him about it. But this is the way life pans out. You don’t have the courage early on. 
I think, PROBABLY TRUE OF HIS GENERATION, HE SORT OF FELT HE HAD A DIVINE RIGHT TO DO AS HE PLEASED, especially within his family. And that what he was doing was not wrong. I don’t know how he justified that with God because he was a God-fearing man. But he came to some arrangement in his mind that permitted him."
For some, informing on their abusers is horrendously difficult. 

Robert Montagu isn't just telling tales on his father, whom he loved, and almost certainly risking the feelings of his family thereby, he is also very likely to upset the powers-that-be as a whole. Many powerful people in high places will be aghast at Robert's revelations and he will probably find himself shunned by many in 'polite society.'

Robert, who set up the Dorset Child and Family Counselling Trust ten years ago, is a brave and righteous Englishman, of that there can be no doubt. And though it is, obviously, better if you manage to find the courage to tell the off-limits truth sooner rather than later, even if it takes a lifetime to get it out, it's better told then than not at all.

As far as I know, Robert is the first member of the aristocracy to speak out publicly. He is not, however, the first upper-crust whistleblower. That accolade must, I think, belong to Susie Henderson, who was abused by her late father, a prominent QC, and raped by Nicholas Fairbairn, MP, when she was just four years old.

Susie's story can be found here.

Remember what kind of person rules our lives, ladies and gentlemen. 

Remember who ruled our lives and created the world we live in today. Remember what kind of person the dark forces behind the scenes need in front of them, in order to be able to steal a world that worked away from those who made it.

If I said that the pervert minority was more likely to betray their kith and kin than the decent majority, the PC Crowd and the rest of the 'perverts-have-rights-too' crowd would, probably, be up in arms.

Well, as I prefer truth to political correctness, I'll say it again:

THE PERVERT MINORITY IS MORE LIKELY TO BETRAY THEIR KITH AND KIN THAN THE DECENT MAJORITY!

That's who 'the dark forces' rely on, folks. That's who does their dirty work. Along with those who actively hate the British people, the trough-gobblers and the slithery-up-the-greasy-pole merchants.

I'll tell you this for nothing, there are a hell of a lot more elite 'establishment' perverts than there are in society as a whole. Unfortunately, even with the help of good folks like Susie and Robert, it's not likely that we'll ever be able to ferret them all out. They are in charge after all.

However, if they weren't in charge...

Now that's another matter.

Alexander Victor Edward Paulet Montagu, 10th Earl of Sandwich (1906 – 1995), was the Conservative Member of Parliament for South Dorset from 1941 until 1962.

At one point Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin's Private Secretary, he set up the Tory Reform Committee in 1943 and was its founding Chairman.

His first wife, Rosemary Peto, (Robert's mother) was a god-daughter of Queen Maud of Norway and his second, Lady Anne Holland-Martin, was the daughter of Victor Cavendish, the 9th Duke of Devonshire.

1 comment:

  1. Christ these inbred aristocrats are a law on to themselves

    ReplyDelete