Friday 15 June 2012

Mass rape of Peace Corps girls

On 12 January 2011, ABC News reported thus:

“MORE THAN 1,000 YOUNG AMERICAN WOMEN HAVE BEEN RAPED OR SEXUALLY ASSAULTED IN THE LAST DECADE WHILE SERVING AS PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEERS IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES…

In some cases, victims say, THE PEACE CORPS HAS IGNORED SAFETY CONCERNS AND LATER TRIED TO BLAME THE WOMEN WHO WERE RAPED FOR BRINGING ON THE ATTACKS.

‘I have two daughters now and I would never ever let them join the Peace Corps,’ said Adrianna Ault Nolan of New York, who was raped while serving in Haiti. She is one of six rape and sexual assault victims who agreed to tell their stories, in hopes the Peace Corps will do a better job of volunteer training and victim counseling…

In the most brutal attack, JESS SMOCHEK, 29, OF PENNSYLVANIA WAS GANG RAPED IN BANGLADESH IN 2004 BY A GROUP OF YOUNG MEN AFTER SHE SAYS PEACE CORPS OFFICIALS IN THE COUNTRY IGNORED HER PLEAS TO RE-LOCATE HER.

‘They all took turns raping me,’ she told ABC News. ‘They raped me with their bodies,. They raped me with foreign objects.‘ Smochek says the group began to stalk her and tried to kiss her and touch her from the very first day she arrived at the city where she was assigned.

‘EVERY DAY WE FELT UNSAFE. AND WE REPORTED EVERYTHING, WE JUST KEPT REPORTING,’ she said in an interview with five other former volunteers who also were rape or sexual assault victims. She says the gang rape took place just hours after a Peace Corps safety official filed a report with the local police BUT AGAIN IGNORED HER PLEAS FOR RE-ASSIGNMENT. She says the young men knew she had complained to the police.

‘They slammed me against the wall and just started threatening me, they're calling me A FILTHY AMERICAN WHORE… We told you to stop going to the police. AND NOW WE HAVE TO KILL YOU… I was in so much pain that I just told them, 'Just kill me. Please. Just do it.'
More than 1,000 young American women raped whilst working for peace corps

More here...

No comments:

Post a Comment